[Zip] Re: [Zope3-dev] Zope 3 ids, names, and unicode

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Wed, 22 May 2002 09:50:34 -0400

Florent Guillaume wrote:
>=20
> Martijn Faassen  <faassen@vet.uu.nl> wrote:
> > Agreed. I'd complain a lot if Zope were to adopt weird urls.
> > I mean, even the ';' thingy in URL is already raising storms, imagine
> > what would happen if we were to say Zope 3 only has 15315353abxf15135=
 :).
> > This also sort of hooks into the whole REST versus SOAP debate, where
> > the SOAP approach would be equivalent to the weird URLs (or no URLs a=
> > all, but URLs that opaque aren't *real* URLs anyway..)
>=20
> Zope wouldn't enforce weird URLs on people who keep their ids to
> US-ASCII anyway.
>=20
> But as a developer and as a user there have been a number of time where
> I wanted full unicode ids. For instance in CMF I want the login name to
> be fully accented, and the login name happens to be also the id of the
> Members home directory of the user...
>=20
> So my vote would be to have full Unicode ids, and when putting ids in
> URLs encode them in UTF-8 and let URI/URL octet-escaping do the rest.
> That would mean that a URL with an id of 'd=E9j=E0 vu' in it would look
> like:
> http://www.example.com/Zope/d%c3%a9j%c3%a0%20vu/view

I agree. Consider this a decision. I'll update the unicode proposal.

> But I really think that nobody reads URLs these days.

I disagree strongly. Meaningful URLs are important to a lot of people.
I'm sure that this correlates with the closeness of the local character
set to usascii. :)
=20
Jim

--