[Zope-PTK] Seen WfTK, Open Source Work Flow Project?

Brown, Brian Brian.Brown@emergent-IT.com
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:35:53 -0600

I also posted some messages on the wftk discussion about using the Jabber
platform as a generic XML engine that we could use as a transport between WF
instances. It would be fairly easy to make zope a client for that platform
(which goes way beyond IM).

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Spicklemire, Jerry
To: 'zope-ptk@zope.org'
Cc: 'steve@spvi.com'; 'kevin@spvi.com'
Sent: 10/19/00 9:27 AM
Subject: [Zope-PTK] Seen WfTK, Open Source Work Flow Project?

Start here:

"I don't know of any WF system that can pass tasks around like this.
This
may in fact be the Holy Grail for B2B process integration."

	http://www.vivtek.com/wftk/discuss.pl?read=3

then:

"Actually, I'm currently learning Python. As Python is typically
extended
with plain-vanilla C modules, and as the new and improved wftk (which
hasn't
hit stores yet) is reimplemented as a set of libraries, I think that
it's
going to be really simple to drop the engine into Python and Zope.
That'll
be my next trick."

	http://www.vivtek.com/wftk/discuss.pl?read=23

and:

"the goal of scalability would be well served by allowing multiple
repositories to cooperate in the system. I think the best way to
implement
this is to allow initiation of processes to specify the location of the
process (that is, to specify the repository in which the process is
located.) Then the active process would reference that
repository+definition+version. In fact, since the process definitions
are
XML, it would be most reasonable to allow retrieval over the Internet
via
HTTP request. In this case, it would be best to cache the version
retrieved
in a local process definition repository, so that sudden unavailability
of
the remote repository wouldn't cause the process to come to a screeching
halt. And then ad-hoc changes to the active process would be noted in
the
local repository as well. Updates and feedback could be done via an HTTP
POST -- to that end, a process definition should include a URL embedded
within it which should be used for automated feedback.

Note that this potentially allows the free distribution of useful
workflow
patterns over the Internet... That could be, well, darned interesting!"

	http://www.vivtek.com/wftk/server_design.html

the home page:

"4 October 2000  My first release-ish version is ready to bake. It's
still
pretty wobbly and there's more baling twine in its metabolism than I
like,
but it's getting better. There's a lot still to do. I've also been
working
on a reorganization of this site, and that should be ready to go soon.
Enjoy!

Now this is just plain cool. wftk is an open-source project funded by
Galactic Marketing through SourceXchange."

	http://www.vivtek.com/wftk/

Later,
Jerry S.