[Zope-CMF] Versioned content?

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 19:03:11 -0800

I've been searching for a Product, possibly a new CMF tool,
that'll let us keep track of revisions to documents in CMF.
I found some old mailing list posts that describe the requirements
pretty well, but no actual code. :(

I'm looking for something sort of like the way cvsweb can
show you old revisions of things in cvs.

It should have workflow too -
e.g. when you revise a document, the new revision becomes
the default view, and the previous revision becomes
inacessible to the general public and is not found in catalog searches.

Requirements:

- new action: "Revise" - we might even remove "Edit" entirely
and just use this; it will make a copy of the current state of the
content and save it as an old revision.

- All content has a link to list of old revisions, sorted by date

- Possible to delete old revisions

- Possible to make an arbitrary old revision "live" (replaces the
current one)

- Maybe not required for us, but would be really cool:
Possible to create a revision with an activation date at which time
it will automatically supercede the current one as the default
view for this document.

These needs seem to overlap somewhat with CMFStaging  / PloneStaging,
but it's not the same thing AFAICT.

As for "why don't you just use Undo or Versions?"...
Undo is fine as far as it goes, except that you have no way to see what
state you'll get if you undo... and that's a key requirement.

Zope Versions seem like they could be useful with a bit
of interface work to make it CMF-friendly, except that
the code is notoriously buggy and nobody seems interested in
maintaining it, in fact most zope developers would seem to prefer
that Versions never existed.

I need it to work for CMF content types - Document and Image
at a minimum.

I know it's out there somewhere and I must be just
overlooking it...

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com