[Zope-Coders] please review LocalRolesRevamp

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 00:20:54 +0200

Steve Alexander wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote:
> >1. Store the information about who has what roles and local roles in the
> >user
> >folder
>
> I think I heard a whisper of a RolesTool (CMF style) or RolesService
> (New Religeon component model style) from Shane a few emails back.
>
> I don't fully understand how that would work, but I like the idea of
> taking something that is currently distributed throughout an
> application, and condensing it into a single point and a single interface.

I think there still should be interfaces locally, just that there is
also another interface at a single point.

The centralized interface to get all object/local roles pairs for a
particular user would be used by the catalog.

The local interfaces could still be used by the security machinery,
and also by people who want to manage local roles locally. Local roles
computation would still happen locally, though the centralized machinery
knows about all objects that perform such local roles computation,
so that its list for a user is always correct as well.

I think there are just too many advantages to the local interfaces
to give them up (but they should be improved).

I go into far more detail in my latest reply to Shane, at the bottom.

Regards,

Martijn