[Zope-Coders] paging the testing committee

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 13:18:47 -0400 (EDT)

  MF> Anyway, first I need to know what the testing standards are in
  MF> the first place. Where do I look? I hear Guido say it was
  MF> decided there was to be a committee to straighten things
  MF> out. Who is in this committee and what progress has been made?

The committee included a bunch of people: Jim, Jeremy, Jeffrey, Fred,
Evan, Chris, Brian.

The simple stuff is really simple:

    - Use the standard unittest module.

    - Put tests in a subpackage named tests under the package being
      tested.

    - Never write tests that depend on being executed from a
      particular location.

    - If you need to store data in the tests directory, get at it
      using imports.  Example:
          from ZODB.tests import MinPO
          dir = os.path.dirname(MinPO.__file__)

    - The test runner (person or program) is responsible for making
      sure the Python path is set correctly to find all the needed
      modules.

    - Do not modify sys.path!

    - Be aware that some tests need to work with Zope and
      StandaloneZODB.  If you modify those tests, make sure they work
      with both checkouts.

          packages: ZODB, BTrees, bsddb3Storage, ZEO, ExtensionClass,
                    Persistence, ThreadedAsync, zLOG, zdaemon

There was more stuff about the Testing package in Zope/lib/python.
I'm not sure I understand the details, but you need to import it to
use it.

There are a bunch of examples that execfile() something called
framework.py, but that's deprecated.  I believe Tres has started
removing it.

Jeremy