[Zope-Coders] Re: test failures in TAL

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 16:44:45 +0200

Martijn Pieters wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 03:01:58PM +0200, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> > Why must any new version of ParsedXML work with Python 1.5.2? I can see
> > this for the DOM core, but for the rest of the product? Plus there is the
> > unicode issue, which is impossible to make work with 1.5.2.
>
> The product is in use with existing Zope 2.3 installations, which has to run
> on 1.5.2.

Yes, but that is true for any Zope product, so this is no explanation.
It is true for any but the most recently developed Zope products. I'd say
ParsedXML is in use far less than, say, ZCatalog, and ZCatalog as a core
product now requires Python 2.1, right?

> The unicode doesn't have to work under python 1.5.2, it just shouldn't break
> it more than it does now.

Yes, but why create a problem in trying to support 1.5.2 for new releases
when so far nobody has spelled out a satisfactory reason? Is there some huge
installed base of ParsedXML users that can't upgrade to Zope 2.4 but do
want to upgrade their ParsedXML to new versions that I'm not aware of?

Regards,

Martijn