[Zope-Coders] how are we doing?

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 17:12:13 +0100

seb bacon wrote:
> There is definitely some impedence to committing:
>
>  - being unfamiliar with the setup, I tend to triple-check everything;
>    therefore even small changes take a while

Same here; yesterday figuring out the whole merging branches issue
for ParsedXML and checking everything, running tests, trying it
with Python 2.1 and Python 1.5.2 ate up a lot of time.

>  - I'm nervous about checking in even tiny bugs without passing them
>    by someone else

This dragged me down a bit too; I had a ask a few times before busy
folks gave me the aye.

>  - I spent about an hour doing some STX changes, only to find Andreas
>    was doing the exact same changes and committed them first!

At least I don't have this problem with ParsedXML; I'm the only
one hacking on it currently -- I've been trying to draw others
in but so far no luck. :)

> These factors add up to me feeling like I really need to set aside a
> a large portion of a day even to do a small fix, at the moment.

Same here, though I'm slowly growing more confident. It helps that
I really *need* a good ParsedXML for several projects..

[snip]
> The nervous / unfamiliar thing will go over time.  An important
> question: is it good or bad to be extremely cautious?  Would it
> perhaps be better to have more mistakes but a higher turnaround of
> fixes?  Would you guys like to see more fixes happening unilaterally?

These are good questions which I was wondering about as well.

Regards,

Martijn