[Zope-Coders] Re: [Zope-dev] Unicode treatment in 2.6b1

Wed, 2 Oct 2002 07:54:00 +0100

> Everybody has their favorite tools and tricks that they have been
> using and improving for decades, while the Unicode tools are still
> young and rough.

For text files stored on the filesystem, I agree. I didnt think that was =
the=20
case we were talking about. Reading back through past message I see this =
may=20
not have been explicit.....

>  Example: I have no need for Unicode, so my Linux
> environment doesn't have *any* Unicode tools (that I'm aware of
> anyway).

If you have got a modern browser, then you have all the tools you need to=
 use=20
Unicode properties on Zope objects.=20

>  In fact, I have hardly a need for aything beyond ASCII, and
> the only encoding I'm likely to use is Latin-1, for the occasional
> accented French or German name.

If you were creating a zope object that needed to store a localized 'name=
' as=20
an object attribute (lets assume name of a person) then the right data ty=
pe=20
for this attribute is unicode. Its not really a matter of thinking about =
the=20
nationality of your users: Unicode is simply right data type for this=20
attribute.

I agree that intertia (in programmers, and databases) is a strong reason =
why=20
this wont happen for a while.