[Zope-Coders] silly windows request

Tim Peters tim@zope.com
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 22:33:10 -0400

[Casey Duncan]
> Another option for this would be to use jscript or vbscript
> instead or batch files, they are way painful on 9x. It would be
> available on any windows box with IE 5.0 or better installed, and
> its a free download. Or better yet just write a python script
> and compile it to an exe with py2exe. Its only about 1.5mb including
> the python runtime.

I don't want to argue about this, so I'll just express that I think the
exercise is pointless.  Anyone installing Zope had better be a developer,
and any developer had better know where they installed Python, and know how
to run it without spoon-feeding.  Writing a robust .bat file is very
difficult even under cmd.exe -- and even *assuming* the user has set the
magic registry entry needed to enable the cmd.exe extensions (not all
versions of cmd.exe come out of the box capable of understanding the stuff
we're trying to use here).

If we have developers who need a megabyte+ "of stuff" to remember where they
put Python, we need a better class of developer <wink>.