[Zope-Coders] Signal forwarding

Marius Gedminas mgedmin@codeworks.lt
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 15:23:29 +0200

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 01:21:35PM -0400, Chris McDonough wrote:
> Then again, I'm not sure about the utility of changing the pidfile name
> if you can change CLIENT_HOME anyway, so maybe it shouldn't be
> specifiable.  Would you ever want to change the location of a pid file
> and *not* change it to a place where the associated instance's
> filestorage files were?

Isn't /var/run/foo.pid recommended by the FHS or something?

I find it quite useful to have all pidfiles for all the system daemons
in one place.  I have a shell script, callec check-health, which, among
other things, loops over /var/run/*.pid and checks that every process
mentioned there is running.  This catches a lot of cases where a system
daemon dies without a proper cleanup.

Regards,
Marius Gedminas
--
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I'm right!