[Zope-Coders] Signal forwarding

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
09 Oct 2002 11:54:04 -0400

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 11:31, Jeremy Hylton wrote:
>   TD> I've found another easter eggs in this signal handling
>   TD> code.... A SIGUSR1 signal will cause the main database to be
>   TD> packed. This isnt mentioned in CHANGES.txt, and google cant find
>   TD> any other documentation for it.

Guilty.

Not quite an easter egg.  It is (minimally) documented in the 2.6
edition of the Zope Book  in the "Maintaining Zope" chapter.  I should
have put a note in CHANGES.txt, though, you're right.

http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/MaintainingZope.stx

> Oh my god!

Oh, the drama. ;-)  I'll take this opportunity to again ask for some
support on making the Zope Book into something that people actually
consult first for useful information about Zope. I've done what I can,
there's lots of room for improvement.

>   TD> I propose removing this signal handler for 2.6. Any thoughts?
>
> +1

Yikes, but it's so useful. :-(  Packing is an administrative function
and admins can grok signals. They can't really grok setting up a shell
script to call "manage_pack", though.

Obviously it shouldn't block.  Would it be acceptable for it to kick off
a thread?

- C