[Zope-Coders] silly windows request

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 09 Oct 2002 14:47:50 -0400

> Yes, I officially give up trying to make portable batch files.

If you can tell me what the for loop tries to do, I could check in a
separate config98.bat that tries to do this.

> > instructions on what to do, and this generally worked.  I picked
> > C:\zope as my zope home as well as instance home.  The last command
> > that completed successfully was make_instance.py.  This told me to run
> > C:\zope\bin\zctl.py, but when I run that, I get
> >
> > ImportError: No module named Controller
> >
> > What could I have done wrong?  (It doesn't seem to make a difference
> > what arguments I give to zctl.py.)
>
> What values are in zctl.py for the following module-level variables:
>
> CONFIG_LOCATION

'c:\inst\etc\zope.conf'

(I note that this really ought to double the backslashes or use a raw
string literal.)

> ZOPE_HOME

'c:\zope'

(Ditto.)

> SOFTWARE_HOME

os.path.join(ZOPE_HOME, 'lib', 'python')

> The error is indicative of zctl.py inserting an incorrect path to the
> Zope software into sys.path which can only mean that it's got the wrong
> SOFTWARE_HOME value.  SOFTWARE_HOME is written into the zctl.py file out
> of a "templatized" zctl.py.in, so this might not be working properly. As
> I look at it, this might be due to unquoted '\' characters in the
> ZOPE_HOME value under Windows.

I looked in c:\zope\lib\python.  It contains a subdir Lib, which
contains a subdir site-packages, which has all the Zope code.  Was
this intended?