[Zope-Coders] Rename "Logout" to "Change user"

Casey Duncan casey@zope.com
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 11:47:27 -0400

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 17:24:27 +0200
"Lennart Regebro" <lennart@torped.se> wrote:

> From: "Shane Hathaway" <shane@zope.com>
> > It depends on your browser.  On Mozilla and Netscape, I get logged out
> > even if I push "cancel".  In fact, if I enter a different user name, it
> > rejects the new credentials.  It doesn't let me change users.
>
> Oh. Then it's a problem, becuase then "Change User" without a doubt would be
> pretty confusing...
> Darn. :-/

It would be really nice if this did work, and you could enter a username and password after choosing log out and have it immediately authenticate you as another user, or leave them blank to become anonymous.

This isn't currently possible, because the logout implementation simply does a blind "raise 'Unauthorized'" so it doesn't accept any creds.

What would be better would be to have logout called passing it the name of the user wishing to log out:

http://zope-server/manage_zmi_logout?user=flambingo

Now if logout is called while logged in as "flambingo" then it raises "Unauthorized", otherwise it refreshes the top bar to show your new user name. If you click ok with no user/password, then it makes you anonymous. This case might need special handling since it likely can't even see the management screen.

This would likely fix browsers that do not behave like Netscape/Mozilla.

Whaddaya say?

-Casey