[Zope-Coders] Towards 2.6

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
16 Oct 2002 13:31:24 -0400

I would also like to add the following bugfix (primarily geared towards
solving a ZC customer issue).  I'd like to make it possible to be able
for users to change their login names without effecting local roles and
other security-related data structures.  Zope Users were always intended
to work this way, but for hysterical raisins, they current don't.

The default "BasicUser" class in AccessControl takes a halfhearted stab
at differentiating between the user "id" and the user "name".  But the
"SimpleUser" subclass of it makes no distinction, and there are some
other bits in the code that use "getUserName" against a user that should
really use "getId".

I'm confident that this can be done without impacting backwards
compatibility.

If no one has violent opposal, I will be checking something in to the
trunk and the 2.6 branch that does this; it will primarily consist of
changes to the User module, the UI for the default user folder, and some
changes from "getUserName" in reliant code to "getId" (traversal
security, etc).

- C