[Zope-Coders] Symbolic CVS tags ?

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:58:09 +0000

I'd like to see Zope versions released more often :)

As an occassional Zope 2 contributor, one of the things I find confusing
is knowing which branches to apply fixes / features to at a particular
time, especially if I've not been keeping up with current release schedules.

Would it be possible to (somehow) have "symbolic" tag names in cvs, for
example:

   HEAD
   current_unstable
   current_maintenance

Then, the instructions for contributors could include these symbolic
names, and there would be must less confusion.

Part a release manager's job would be to re-tag branches as necessary to
keep the symbolic tags correct as releases move on.

Of course, I have no idea how to actually achieve this stuff :)

--
Steve Alexander