[Zope-Coders] Re: [Zope-Checkins] CVS: Zope/lib/python/DateTime/tests -testDateTime.py:1.12.6.3

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 11:52:09 -0400

Andreas Jung writes:
 > Is there a reason why __file__ can not be set automatically by
 > Python ?

Traditionally, it has not.  Sometimes, it isn't possible.  For
instance, when source code is loaded from standard input:

    cat source.py | python

or when embedding source on the command line:

    python -c 'print 42'

For those times when it *is* possible, I think Python should do so,
and Guido has expressed non-hostility toward the idea.  I'll try to
have this in Python 2.3; I've assigned this feature to myself in
Python's issue tracker on SourceForge:

    http://www.python.org/sf/624729

So there's hope yet!

  -Fred