[Zope-Coders] ZServer location

Ken Manheimer klm@zope.com
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:27:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Matt Behrens wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 11:55:12PM -0400, Chris McDonough wrote:
>
> > For my "installer branch", I'd like to move the ZServer package into
> > lib/python.  Currently it lives in "ZOPE_HOME".
> >
> > But the way that the CVS repository is configured, ZServer is symlinked
> > into ZOPE_HOME and thus can't itself be removed on my branch via "cvs
> > rm".  I'm not sure what to do here.  In a perfect world, what I'd like
> > is to move ZServer from ZOPE_HOME into ZOPE_HOME/lib/python while not
> > having an impact on any other branch than the one I'm working on.  I
> > could just go ahead and add ZServer to lib/python on my branch, but I
> > still can't prevent a "cvs up" from retrieving the ZOPE_HOME ZServer
> > package.  I suppose I could just cvs remove all the files from the
> > ZOPE_HOME ZServer package on my branch, preventing any files from being
> > populated into it when someone does a "cvs up".
>
> You can never remove directories from a CVS repository, whether it
> does the crazy gyrations that cvs.zope.org does or not. :-)
>
> The best you can do is clear all files from ZServer, and then
> checkouts with the -P option (and I believe exports as well?  I may
> be wrong) will create, try to populate, fail, then remove the
> directory.

Yah - chris, i'm thinking the thing to do is to use repolinks to
resituation the symlink to the ZServer package in ZOPE_HOME/lib/python,
and leave an empty directory in /ZServer, or wherever the symlink is
currently situated.

For full correctness, we could even leave a directory in the old place
that is empty except for an Attic subdirectory that contains copies of all
the files in the ZServer package as they exist now.  I think that would be
the proper analogue of the remove.

If this passes muster according to all the CVS savvy folks out there, i
can implement it when you wish...

--
Ken
klm@zope.com