[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope] Re: [Zope-dev] [Zope] Barriers to Zope popularity

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 16:20:57 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Evan Simpson <evan@4-am.com>
To: Brian Lauer <fozbaca@yahoo.com>
Cc: zope@zope.org <zope@zope.org>; zope-dev@zope.org <zope-dev@zope.org>
Date: Thursday, September 23, 1999 3:52 PM
Subject: Re: [Zope] Re: [Zope-dev] [Zope] Barriers to Zope popularity

>Brian Lauer wrote:
>
>> From my experience of trying to intrest co-workers in
>> Zope there were 2 problems.
>>
>> 1. Python - they don't know python, but might be
>> willing to learn if it wasn't for 2...
>
>Not really necessary, but helpful, and quite valuable in its own
>right...

I agree. You can do a whole lot without using Python. For someone who knows
how to use a programming language, picking up python is probably not going
to be too difficult.

>> 2. ISP/Web Hosting companies don't sopport Pyhton as a
>> cgi enviroment or Zope.
>
>If the latter, check Zope.org's downloads for nice complete binary
>distributions of Zope complete with built-in Python.  If you can do CGI
>on your ISP, you can do PCGI with Zope.
[some snippage above]

One caveat: I have found that many hosting companies are not keen on the
PCGI way of doing things, because it permanently sucks up memory, etc. In
looking at hosting companies, I found that to be a bigger issue than running
Python. (I thought most hosting companies provided Python already).

Still, I think Zope is powerful enough to easily justify a switch in hosting
companies (which is not really *that* big a deal for many configurations).
In fact, I *did* switch hosting companies so that I could use Zope.

Kevin