[Zope-dev] (no subject)

Spicklemire, Jerry Jerry.Spicklemire@IFLYATA.COM
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:53:08 -0500

Hi Name Hunters,

My problem with Zopelet is that it already has a meaning, at least to me.

Looking down the road, not nearly as far as one might imagine, let's see
where we may be heading. Think about minimal Zope instances running on Palm
Gizmos, Cell Phones, whatever, a sort of personal ZEOClient, that enables
offline or intermitent access to Zope Applications (e.g. WorldPilot). That's
a Zopelet to me, a "little Zope".

As for the other suggestions, "Op" sounds right to me. An Operation, or an
Operative carrying out some work on behalf of the caller.

Python Op, Perl Op, XSLT Op. It's short too!

Also, Safe is clear, and easy to grasp, since most folks are aware how
critical security can be. As for Flexible vs. UnSafe, how about "Direct", as
in, "running directly from the file system"?. The term implies a trade-off
of power for some degree of insecurity, at least to the initiated. Newbies
should be warned away if they don't get the connotation.

This leads to:

Direct Python Op, etc.

Later,
Jerry S.