[Zope-Moz] SURVEY: What people can do

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 01:56:34 +0100

Paul Everitt wrote:
> On to the survey.  On a scale of 1 to 5, with one being "I'm really good
> at it", please judge yourself on the following if you intend to
> participate in the Zope Studio.
>
> 1) HTML 4

3 - not particularly good; but I do look at the spec all the time when
writing HTML code. Unfortunately the browsers don't implement it right
yet (this will be a common theme of these answers..)

> 2) Web graphics.

1 - I know what they are. I can figure them out. Not my particular
speciality.

> 3) JavaScript.

2 - I could code in it but it's too incompatible right now so I haven't
even tried. They should've used Python instead. ;) I hope ECMAScript in
Mozilla will change all that.

> 4) CSS.

2 - I know what it is, studied the issues a while back, and again gave up
due to bad implementation by browsers.

> 5) XML.

3 - I have done lots of work with XML, but I am not that familiar with the
newer specs such as XSL.

> 6) RDF.

1 - Know virtually nothing about it.

> 7) DOM.

4 - I have only used the XML part of the DOM but I'm fairly familiar with it
as I helped debug Zope's XMLDocument

> 8) COM programming (meaning you'll be familiar with XPCOM).

1 - I know what COM is but haven't worked with it.

> BTW, looks like two days until the first "alpha" (M12).  I read a post
> by Jim Roskind (that man seems to have worked for every valley company)
> where he said the usability has gone way up since they closed the tree
> last week and started killing bugs.  This is going to be there "dogfood"
> release (meaning the developers use it over 50% of the time).

I have downloaded a daily build from mozillazine today and it worked quite
well for quite a while. The GUI could still need some improvements (and I
think the buttons look ugly, but luckily there's XUL), but the browser
itself is nice and fast. And knowing that it implements HTML 4.0 and CSS
and DOM the right way is a very good feeling -- the web might finally be ready
to program without too much agony. The open source feeling helps too -- if it's
broke someone can fix it. Not me for now though, as I've looked at the
C++ source and got dizzy quickly. ;)

Regards,

Martijn