[Zope-Moz] Re: [Zope] RDF Use cases

Brian Lloyd Brian@digicool.com
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 11:45:08 -0500

> > The first thing to decide is how much of the model (vs
> view) is to be
> > sent to the client side. For example: Zope, as it is now,
> can just send
> > back XUL instead of HTML and have a great interface in
> mozilla without
> > _any_ other change. That would be splitting the model-view
> right in the
> > middle, with only the view going to the client side.
>
> Can you actually send XUL over the browser to Mozilla to make it do
> stuff? I thought that for security and other reasons this was not
> possible. Besides, I'd absolutely hate it if Geocities and
> its ilk could
> do *that*. :)

I've done some tiny tests that use a DTML document to generate
some XUL that puts the standard Zope mgmt tabs in a XUL tab
widget - when you click on a tab the appropriate screen gets
loaded into a IFRAME on the page. I've also done some quick
prototypes using the XUL menubar/menu widgets so that you
could do :

File | New... | Image

etc. instead of the current clunky HTML dropdowns. I agree
that we could probably do a hell of a lot even without RDF
(though I do believe that some level of RDF support is the
right way to approach things like the tree control).

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909