[Zope-Moz] Design discussion (was RDF Use cases)

Shalabh Chaturvedi shalabh@pspl.co.in
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 22:06:26 +0530

Paul Everitt wrote:
> Quick time out!  Let's state some ground rules...
>
> 3) Most important, this is *NOT* a project to collect all the "Boy, I
> wish Zope would..." requirements.  Let's face it, collecting website
> traffic statistics is outside the scope of the Zope Studio, as Zope
> doesn't do that now.  Though all the ideas are great, let's remember
> that we don't want to keep a good Zope Studio hostage to extraneous
> requirements.

Hmm...I hope it's given ppl an idea for a possible product, though.

> I propose that we adopt "Role Verbs Noun" as the title of use cases.
> For instance, "Content Manager Edits Document" or "Manager Adds
> Portal".  We then discuss the sequence of activities and branches for
> each use case.

I see that few of the use cases I suggested look like this. Now I feel I need
more inputs before I can provide constructive suggestions.

1. What should be the set of actors for the use cases?
How about these: administrator, content manager, database programmer, zope
developer, zope studio, zope itself, web-browser.

2. Are we looking at use of RDF in Zope or 'use cases' for the Zope Studio? If
its RDF in Zope (anywhere in Zope) then things like privacy preferences and
signatures (interactions between the browser and zope) would make sense here. If
its 'use cases' for the Zope Studio then restricting it to RDF seems confusing.
For example a use case "manager deletes document" would be a sequence of more
than two interactions, the first two being: [1] between the manager and zope
studio, and [2] between the zope studio and zope. This may finally use RDF
somewhere in the first interaction and XML-RPC in the second. Shouldn't we first
just come up with use cases and then see where we can fit in the RDF, XML-RPC
and other acronyms?

For other people new to UML (like me): -
Use Case Fundamentals : http://members.aol.com/acockburn/papers/AltIntro.htm
UML : http://www.rational.com/uml/index.jtmpl, http://www.omg.org/uml/
More on Use Cases:-
http://members.aol.com/acockburn/papers/OnUseCases.htm