[Zope-Moz] PropertyView - The story so far

Shalabh Chaturvedi shalabh@pspl.co.in
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 19:57:20 +0530

----- Original Message -----
From: Martijn Pieters <mj@digicool.com>

...                     <snipped>

> Looks great to me! I sorta pictured the 'new property' thing more as a
> menu item, or a bunch of icons. That way you can present a property type
> specific widget for the property.

Yup, nice idea.
One more thing - there's no way the user can delete a property in the current
UI.

> Did you use XBL at all in this? The reason I ask is, right now we are
> experimenting with Mozilla, see what is possible with the technology.
> XBL is something we might want to use.

No I haven't yet. I did something using Javascript that should really be
done using XBL. I have the following inside a template: -

 <box  class="zsProperty"
   value="rdf:http://www.zope.org/Resources/Mozilla/RDF#PropertyValue"
   type="rdf:http://www.zope.org/Resources/Mozilla/RDF#PropertyType"
   possibleValues =
"rdf:http://www.zope.org/Resources/Mozilla/RDF#PossibleValues"

 </box>

This creates a number of empty boxes for each of the properties.
On the window load event a Javascript funtion 'fills out' each of these using
dom calls. I see this is an ideal case for XBL but this way it was much faster
for me to develop. Anyway, I'll to do it in XBL too, just to see.

However, I think Dave Hyatt, in one of his postings, discouraged
extensive use of XBL for now.

> After this initial exploration phase, we'll go into a more formal
> development process, where we'll capture requirements, doodle in UML,
> etc. It is not that important if you don't get the property interface
> right the first time, more that we all learn what Mozilla is capable of.

Yup. And also learn how to use the capabilites!

Shalabh