[Zope-Moz] Templates anyone?

Shalabh Chaturvedi shalabh@pspl.co.in
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 20:45:21 +0530

From: Martijn Pieters

> But you can no longer make any changes to the component source then,
> unless you hunt down all the DTML methods it is used in and re-parse
> those as well! Not very elegant I'd say.

IMHO, I disagree.
Isn't what you say also the case with:
  o  All Zope products
  o  Any new tags (like calendar) that may be defined
  o  Any DTML Method that has a number of <dtml-var xVar> and
      expects all the xVars to be defined when it is called.

> No, the component should be any callable Zope object. That way you keep
> it OO and reusable.

It is reusable, once it is defined. OO and Patterns are not enemies. They mix
well, in fact.

Having a single component_contents doesn't provide anything new. Doing what it
does has always been possible: the template/component might just as well be a
DTMLMethod called myTemplate and used as:

<dtml-let componentContents=" foo ">
   <dtml-var myTemplate>
</dtml-let>

Instead if we have two levels of evaluation, we get more reusability, not less.

Shalabh