[Zope-Moz] ANNOUNCE: Zope management tree in Mozilla

Paul Everitt paul@digicool.com
Sun, 09 Jan 2000 09:18:39 -0500

Martijn Pieters wrote:
> From: Tres Seaver [mailto:tseaver@palladion.com]
> > Very nice!  I think a lot of the pain of dealing with Zope
> > through the current

Tres, I think you're right, that a lot of the usability wins will be
pretty quick with things like response time behaving more logically.

> > management interface goes away if the latency of the
> > request/reply cycle is
> > imperceptible -- your tree view emulates the interface
> > perfectly, and quickly
> > (of course caching has its own problems...).

But this is a problem in Windows Explorer as well.  When you visit a
Samba folder for instance, you notice that you have to click Refresh
more often.  Even more strikingly, doing a Web Folder is a _really_
different experience.  Getting a password prompt, having a _ton_ of
latency, hitting Refresh a lot, etc.

IMO, if we can do like Zope does, and trap the most often cases that
change the folder and thus force a refresh, we'll be OK.

> > I wonder if we could fold in the XUL markup editor, and allow
> > client-side
> > creation/editing of DTML documents and methods (with some
> > validation?), with
> > submission.

Though there has a been a proof-of-concept XUL-based editor around since
M10, as far as I know the guy hasn't really implemented any parsing of
the editor contents.  I agree that this would be one of the really Big
Wins.  But I worry that this is extremely fraught with obstacles in
Mozilla.

> This is exactly what this is all about, building a Zope Studio. Want to
> join in?

I completely agree.  This Zope-Mozilla initiative is stuck right now in
a weird spot, where we can't really do any design because it isn't clear
what's really possible.  Thus, what's needed right now is a _whole lot_
of experimentation and lesson-gathering.

I'd like to see more of this, which is why I'm awfully happy at what
Shalabh posted.  Not only is it something tangile, but it shows that a
community is building here and that we as a community are going to learn
this little beastie together.

Enough pep talk.  Everybody, get busy! :^)

--Paul