[Zope-Moz] Hi I just joined...

Martijn Pieters mj@digicool.com
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 15:03:28 -0500

> >I agree, we should get his work and ZIE in here to get a common
> >architecture in place.
> >
> >--Paul
>

> Hi,
> I just joined this list and have browsed the mail archives.
> (I am the guy behind the ZIE-project. So that's where i'm
> coming from.)
>  http://www.zope.org/Members/johanc/ZIE
>

> It seems that the projects status still is in the UseCases
> design face!
> It that so?
> I'll try to help out.
>
> I have also been fighting with XML-RPC this week-end.
> Zope's internal methods aren't really XML-RPC enabled yet.
> Is converting the Zope management API to a XML-RPC compliant
> state in the scoop for this project?
> Or is it something that DC's gone fix?
> (If so, is it in progress, will it be done in a near future?)

From my point of view, I think that Zope needs a central registry for
Products that lists what actions can be taken on a given object, so that
any IDE can give at least a generic interface for object manipulation.
Plugins can take care of specific tricky details. This ensures
compatibility with current and future IDEs. I am thinking along the
lines of the way Java Beans and ECMAScript Components are defined
(ECMA-290).

ZopeStudio (Mozilla Zope interface) does not (yet) use XML-RPC, as this
is not possible from JavaScript. Mozilla just doesn't have the
infrastructure for this. But as we discuss what way ZopeStudio _will_
communicate with the server, there is no reason why we should lock out
other IDEs.

--
Martijn Pieters, Software Engineer
http://wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8A32149