[Zope-Moz] Templates anyone?

Shalabh Chaturvedi shalabh@pspl.co.in
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 23:07:52 +0530

> [RH]
> > I like this idea. On the other hand, you will still have to deal with
> > people whining about wanting to use wysiwyg editors. I gather this will
> > not be easy to reconcile with you structured approach, unless they are
> > objects. DO you have a solution in mind for it?
>
> [SC] If fact why I proposed this is because I feel it fits well with
> with wisywig editors and the like. " They" are objects.
>
> [RH] A, I did not understand this, but I agree that it seems the right way
> to go.

This is what I tried to convey in the following idea.

> (Following is less than half baked idea, so tread cautiously :)
> When people want to create a webpage they
> think "Aha! an 'HTMLPageDoc' object" and create a new one.
> For constructing a HTMLPageDoc they think of other objects
> they want to drop into it. These could be a 'DBTable', a
> 'navbar' template they've already created etc. When they want
> to do heavy duty processing of form data, they think
> 'BackendObj' which doesn't have any html - it just returns
> another HTMLPageDoc when done processing. When they
> want to send mail they grab 'MailerObj' and drop it into
> the 'BackendObj'.
>
> Most of these objects are just plain old DTMLMethods and
> tags with new 'labels' on top of them. But it looks better this
> way, I think.

[RH]
> > You could  introduce
> > something like an 'open pattern' (which is of course a contradiction),
> > but I am not at all sure this is a good idea. THe question is of course
> > if you want to keep templates open or if you only want to compose them
> > of objects. Any thoughts on this?

[SC]
> I'm not sure I get what you mean here. I would like the templates to be
> open in the sense that anybody should be able to define their own templates.
> This could mean, for example, that a user can 'iconize' (think ZStudio) his
> own template and drag and drop it into documents, etc.

> [RH] I think this is taken care of by the component tag mentioned above.
> Theory is more or less covered then, leaves only an implementation (ahum
> ;-0)

(sniff!) Do I smell a hint?
I guess it's time to at least start of with some real code. Not much at
this point but just some experiments that would give us more insight.
(Sigh: the weekend is so far away). Martijn and others are putting in some real
serious thought into the Zope Architecture, MVC and all - I have a feeling all
of that is going to affect a lot of things.

Cheers,
Shalabh