[Zope-Moz] Quick Questions

Martijn Pieters mj@digicool.com
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 13:59:58 +0100

From: "Robb Beal" <thanksbellatlantic@yahoo.com>
> A few quick questions while I get acclimated:
>
> 1) Is there an annotated screenshot(s) of the existing
> Zope Management UI? (The kind you often find in
> shrink-wrapped consumer desktop apps.)

No there isn't. In CVS we have however, added context sensitive help to the
ZOpe management UI. Would that solve your problem?

> 2) Is there a collection of UI suggestions for the
> existing Zope Management UI?

Again, no. I am also not quite sure what you mean.

If you mean, are there guidelines for developing a managemtn interface for
your own products that matches the Zope management UI, then no, there isn't
such a beast. Martijn Faassen has been setting up a framework document on
Zope Product development, which should include guidelines like these.

And if you are wondering if there has been any structured effort to improve
the current UI, using the same technologies, then again, the answer is no.
But you could easily start one, we are alway sopen to suggestions.

> 3) Is this an appropriate forum for posting
> suggestions based on the existing UI? Perhaps as an
> externally linked document?

Here, we are discussing the use of Mozilla to build a new UI/IDE for Zope
site development and management. Mozilla will be another way of manageing
your Zope installation, one that is has a much richer UI than is possible in
HTML. And yes, suggestions are welcome. Have a look at the current thoughts
and discussions on the Zope Studio UI at:

  http://www.zope.org/Resources/Mozilla/ZWiki/ZopeStudioVision

> 4) Adding clarity to and simplifying the Security UI
> seems like low hanging fruit. Are there any mock-ups
> of a revised Security UI or latent ideas in people's
> minds?

No mockups, but latent ideas there are. Nothing very concrete yet though,
and all help is more than welcome! If you have good ideas, I'll give you the
Security UI protions of Zope Studio.

Martijn Pieters