[Zope-Moz] Python Interpreter in Mozilla

Martijn Pieters mj@digicool.com
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 22:22:55 +0100

On Fri, Mar 17, 2000 at 11:33:37AM -0800, Jake Kauth wrote:
> brk@jenkon.com wrote:
> > Whereas I'm looking to be able to do something more like:
> >
> > <DEFANGED-SCRIPT language = 'Python'><![CDATA[
> > def foo():
> >         print "Hello, world."
> > ]]></script>
> >
> > Any ideas where to start? Anyone capable of giving an architectural
> > overview
> > of what this would take?
>

> i would guess that the best way to start is
> to get the source for the TCL plugins (which is available on all
> platforms
> and
> i believe is opensource) and see what mr. ousterhout has done.
>
> i think it does this already, but i'm not sure if it is a mime type that
> gets
> handed off or if it is considered a scripting language like that...

The TCL plugin doesn't access the browser DOM. It is a bit like the first
versions of Java in the browser, or any other plugin for that matter; the
plugin gets a piece of screem and can display on that. hardly any other
interaction with the browser is not possible.

In IE, IIS, Windows 2000, etc, Microsoft uses ActiveX scripting, which
means you can plug in any scripting language and have that drive the app.
MS gives you JScript and VBScript, and Mark Hammond has made Python
available for ActiveX scripting. So, in IE, you _can_ do <script
language=python> and have it manipulate the DOM. It would be nice if you
could do the same in Mozilla.

--
Martijn Pieters