[Zope-Moz] Current status?

Paul Everitt paul@digicool.com
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 09:38:59 -0500

Michael--

Let me give a quick explanation of our standing on the Zope-Mozilla
project.

First, we've already blown through the alloted budget for this project
by a LONG shot.  It's doubtful whether Digital Creations itself would
gear back up a big push, though we'd certainly assist others such as
yourself that would be interested in doing so.

Second, we also realized that we're not a client-side tools company.
Every small company needs to take to heart the meaning of focus.
ActiveState, on the other hand, _is_ a client-side tools company.  They
are dedicating quite a number of people, over the long haul, to create a
strong Mozilla-based IDE.

Right now I feel everybody would be best served if we helped ActiveState
succeed with Komodo.

Still, all of this is pretty early to be making any decisions.  The
PyXPCOM has been out less than a week.  I think it's too early to call
it a silver bullet.  Mozilla itself has a ways to go before it's ready
for the masses (they're still trying to figure out _why_ it's bloated,
much less how to fix it).  And Komodo doesn't yet have a released
version that does remote projects (WebDAV).

--Paul