[ZWeb] [10x]Products: rating and download monitoring

Trevor Toenjes zope@toenjes.com
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 11:11:20 -0500

Improve Pride in Authorship and Ownership
<dtml-separate wheat_from_chaff>

There are some great products for Zope. But many lack good documentation or
at least a detailed description.  To a newcomer it looks like a crap-shoot.
zope.org and Zproduct-webs should use a
 * feedback for author
 * display number of reads, downloads, comments
 * rate this product
 * difficulty to install and use.
 * category system that shows the category on the product page
How about a compatibility monitoring system?  Every release of zope or a
dependent product asks product authors to validate compatibility.  Their
non-response places a "buyer beware" on the product page.

CREDITS: ZopeLabs at least has a "rate this recipe" to give feedback to the
author.

Almost all products lack a sufficient use-case scenario to explain why you
might need the product.  You have to be a experienced Zopester or install it
and experiment before you decide it doesnt do what you thought it would.

I suggest these as a catalyst to improve the credibility and organization of
the z-dev community to focus on quality and sharing.  This should make Zope
more accessible to newcomers and improve the quality of products released.

I will help with a "features doc" if anyone agrees.
-Trevor "10x" Toenjes

</dtml-separate>