[Zope] is zope a solution?

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode@parallab.uib.no
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 02:26:29 +0200

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 03:18:07PM -0400, Jim Penny wrote:

> BTW:  I am not using zope in a "typical" profile.  I am doing far more
> relational database work than appears to be normative.  I am doing more
> concurrent writing than appears to be normative.  (My PostgreSQL log
> file is about 15 Meg per day.  so far today I have done 24,000 inserts,
> 1,000 inserts and 600 updates, and as the last day before holiday, this
> is very light).

We've just set up a Zope student portal for a university faculty
here in Bergen http://realfag.uib.no/. It's pretty new, and we've
still got a few minor bugs to sort out, but I think it's starting
to look quite good (10-15.000 hits a day so far, and we just went
public a week ago).

We're using postgres and popy, running on a dual cpu Sun Blade
1000. There's been a few crashes hopefully caused by an old
PoPy/ZPoPyDA version, but I upgraded to the latest version today.

Maybe you could give some advise on how to optimally do database
connections. So far we're only using 4 database connections, where
it looked naturally at the time. At times we see maybe 50-100
database transactions a second (mostly reads). Are there any
point in splitting the load over more database connections? What
about the NUMBER_OF_THREADS in z2? I set this at 80, but that's
mostly a wild guess from my side. Any advise on how many threads
to use for a high traffic site doing both ZODB3 and postgres/popy?

Any advise, or pointers to information on how to configure
zope+postgres+apache for optimal performance on a dual cpu
machine would be greatly appreciated.

  -jf