[Zope] authentication problem

Mitchell L Model mlm@acm.org
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 09:54:29 -0400

I would greatly appreciate it if people knowledgeable about the Zope
user authentication process would consider helping me with a problem
even though the context for the problem is extremely limited (Omniweb
10.0.5 on Mac OS X 10.0.4), because the answer will help me
understand an important part of Zope in addition to helping me get
past my problem and in fact, I think the answer probably has to do
with the mechanism by which web browsers communicate user
authorization to server-side programs generally, independent of
Omniweb or Zope, so many people might find this answer interesting.

I couldn't use Zope at all on Omniweb before the just released
version 10.0.5, because although I could successfully connect to a
specific port included in the URL, Omniweb was not using that port
for the frames within the page.  That seems to have been fixed with
the newest version, but I still have a problem: I can successfully
log in to Zope, but all attempts to use ZMI get redirected to View
pages instead.  I have traced through the code in
ZPublisher/BaseRequest.py and ZServer/PubCore/ZServerPublisher.py to
determine that the request's _auth is coming in as None in Omniweb,
but a more meaningful value in other browsers.  However, I'm having
trouble finding where that information is coming from (the
indirections in the Python code make it tricky to catch everything
stepping through the code in pdb), and I've run out of time.

I would GREATLY appreciate an explanation of where the authorization
information is coming from.  I don't see the currently logged in user
in my CGI environment, including cookies.  How does any server-side
program get the user authorization information from the browser after
the user has logged in and gone to a different frame or window?
--

     --- Mitchell