[Zope] My Way of Zope Programming

Thomas Guettler zopestoller@thomas-guettler.de
Thu, 08 Aug 2002 13:17:09 +0200

Hi!

After using Zope more than one year I want to
share my experiences with you

That's what I think:

0. Learn python

1. Don't programm Zope TTW (Through the web)
  This applies if you have a small group of developers.
  If you have many developers who know HTML editing
  TTW might be for, but then this text does not apply
  This means: Use Python Products

2. Don't use ZPT, DTML or ZClasses. I spent to much time searching
  for the line were the error occured. Since I use python
  I no more have theses problems.
  Example:
   def foo(self, REQUEST):
       "docstring"
       ret=[]
       ret.append(self.root.standard_html_header())
       ret.append("""
            <your tag>
             %s
             <foo>%s</foo>
            </your_tag>
            """ % (var1, var2))
       return string.join(ret)

3. Don't use acquisition. The only part where
    acquisition is usefull is for the standard_html_header
    See the example above how to do it without it

4. If you are starting a new project use ZODB for the storage
   and not a relational database.
   Soon directory storage will be stable and you have the latest
   storage solution

5. Use BTrees. They are very scalable. But pay attention: The keys
   must all be of the same type.

What do you think about it?