[Zope] Zope killed by TCPA?

rra42 rra42@yahoo.co.uk
Sun, 05 Jan 2003 15:27:50 +0000

Hi,

Reading comment on TCPA at:

 > http://www.notcpa.org/about.html
 > http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html

I got the impression that an open source document or application will
not run on a "fritzed" PC unless the code had been signed/certified:

Quoting from www.notcpa.org:

And there's more. Every program you want to execute has to be certified.
So, you're a developer and want to create your own programs? Of course,
with a certified IDE you're able to write your own source code. But it's
not possible to execute your programs you just developed - unless you're
going to certify them (which costs about $100.000!)."What the heck, I'll
switch to linux when TCPA is reality!"

Now we're getting to the point where you could imagine what happens to
the GPL and linux. First of all: It's no longer possible to install
linux, because this Operating System is not certified by the TCPA. No,
that's not a joke. Okay, imagine there would be a certified Linux. (HP
creates one, btw). What's happening to OpenSource development, then?
Every open source developer would need to certify his program, before he
can distribute them. But how should he pay that certification?

What happens to quick bugfixes? And what happens to all the guys who
want to compile the software on their own. There is NO chance to do all
that stuff.

End Quote.

This was what made me concerned about the viability of continuing to
offer clients zope/python based solutions.

Rob

       visit http://in.tv.yahoo.com