[Zope] Zope killed by TCPA?

rra42 rra42@yahoo.co.uk
Sun, 05 Jan 2003 15:37:42 +0000

Hi,
it was point 18 of the TCPA/Palladium FAQ that concerneed me:

Quote:

TCPA will undermine the General Public License (GPL), under which many
free and open source software products are distributed. The GPL is
designed to prevent the fruits of communal voluntary labour being
hijacked by private companies for profit. Anyone can use and modify
software distributed under this licence, but if you distribute a
modified copy, you must make it available to the world, together with
the source code so that other people can make subsequent modifications
of their own.

At least two companies have started work on a TCPA-enhanced version of
GNU/linux. This will involve tidying up the code and removing a number
of features. To get a certificate from the TCPA corsortium, the sponsor
will then have to submit the pruned code to an evaluation lab, together
with a mass of documentation showing why various known attacks on the
code don't work. (The evaluation is at level E3 - expensive enough to
keep out the free software community, yet lax enough for most commercial
software vendors to have a chance to get their lousy code through.)
Although the modified program will be covered by the GPL, and the source
code will be free to everyone, it will not make full use of the TCPA
features unless you have a certificate for it that is specific to the
Fritz chip on your own machine. That is what will cost you money (if not
at first, then eventually).

You will still be free to make modifications to the modified code, but
you won't be able to get a certificate that gets you into the TCPA
system. Something similar happens with the linux supplied by Sony for
the Playstation 2; the console's copy protection mechanisms prevent you
from running an altered binary, and from using a number of the hardware
features. Even if a philanthropist does a not-for-profit secure
GNU/linux, the resulting product would not really be a GPL version of a
TCPA operating system, but a proprietary operating system that the
philanthropist could give away free. (There is still the question of who
would pay for the user certificates.)

People believed that the GPL made it impossible for a company to come
along and steal code that was the result of community effort. This
helped make people willing to give up their spare time to write free
software for the communal benefit. But TCPA changes that. Once the
majority of PCs on the market are TCPA-enabled, the GPL won't work as
intended. The benefit for Microsoft is not that this will destroy free
software directly. The point is this: once people realise that even
GPL'led software can be hijacked for commercial purposes, idealistic
young programmers will be much less motivated to write free software.

End Quote

Best wishes,

Rob