[Zope3-dev] Favorite things

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Tue, 04 Dec 2001 08:45:24 -0500

At 08:21 AM 12/4/01 -0500, Paul Everitt wrote:

>Howdy.  I started reading through Phillip's "Cool" note, and was
>disappointed that I didn't get the first email in.  So here's a response. :^)

You have no idea how long I've been hoping and praying that something Zope
3-ish would appear and save me from having to continue supporting
ZPatterns.  :)

>In the next weeks, lots of people will lobby for "can you tackle <my
>favorite thing> next", where the candidates will include cataloging (death
>to CatalogAware), the event system that it might need, etc.

In my case, "<my favorite thing>" isn't a feature but merely the absence of
misfeatures carried from the old system.  Specifically, I'll be watching
user management API's and how object management events and such work,
trying to spot breakage for "non-persistent thingies" where data is coming
from SQL, LDAP, remote objects, or other data sources.  So far I haven't
seen any problems in the component & publishing "microkernel" of Z3X, but
haven't really dug into the ZMI or Security parts yet.  And it may be that
the areas I'm worried about haven't actually made it in yet.

But overall, I'm thrilled, and really glad I met with you guys at the
beginning of this year and learned enough about the intended route for Z3
that I avoided putting more resources into the evolutionary dead-end of
ZPatterns.