[Zope3-dev] Alpha 1 Plans

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 16:25:17 -0500

Hi all,

Here's an update on my plans for alpha 1.

I'm planning to make the first Zope 3x alpha release on December 31.
The goals of this release are to:

     - Provide a relatively firm foundation for beginner Zope 3
       developers who want to start building Zope 3 products or to
       contribute to development.

     - Provide wider exposure of Zope 3.

     - Solicit input on features, current and missing.

The alpha release *will* be slow. We have intentionally avoided
optimization to keep the code as clean as possible. Optimization
will be performed prior to the first beta release.

Today I've been working on the todo list by adding items to the collector,
http://collector.zope.org/Zope3-dev. In particular, items to (try to) do for
the alpha are marked urgent:

   http://collector.zope.org/Zope3-dev/collector_contents?searching=yep&SearchableText=&status%3Alist%3Aignore_empty=Accepted&status%3Alist%3Aignore_empty=Pending&importances%3Alist%3Aignore_empty=urgent

I probably need to add a bunch of documentation tasks. I'll try to do
that soon. I'll also be trimming a few features out of the roadmap for
the alpha.

I want all new features for the alpha to get checked in this week.

Monday, I want to do the grand renaming,
http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/DirectoryHierarchyReorganization

If anybody wants to help with this, let me know. :)

That will give us December 24-30 to do any polishing before the alpha,
but I'm going skiing December 26-30. :)

Jim