[Zope3-dev] Interesting parallels between Zope approach and N aked Objects

THoffman@indtech.wa.gov.au THoffman@indtech.wa.gov.au
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 09:11:26 +0800

Hi Stephan

On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 12:08, Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Monday 11 November 2002 20:48, THoffman@indtech.wa.gov.au wrote:
> > Therefore will the downside with Z3 and the objective of minimising the
> > effort of getting any old python library into the environment mean that
> > people don't make the mental transition to thinking about "real
> > objects"?
>
> No I don't think so. I think the new way just saves you a lot of overhead
and
> nasty monkey patching. People still have to think (they even have to think

> harder) how to place a 3rd party object into Zope 3, since you have to
create
> directives, views, declare interfaces and so on. This way it becomes much
> clearer what the purpose of this new 3rd party object plays in the Zope 3
> Framework.

Actually I agree with you. The big thing will be to show people how to
think about Z3. One of the problems I had in the early stages
of my Zope/CMF learning was actually how to apply the many ways of doing
things the correct way. API doc's and source don't necessarily convey,
they just show the opportunity to do something is there, or that
differnt people have done the same thing 3 different ways. I think it
will be important to convey the philosphy/approach (not the correct word
I agree) to Z3 new comers, not just the API's.

See ya

Tim

> Regards,
> Stephan
> --
> Stephan Richter
> CBU Physics & Chemistry (B.S.) / Tufts Physics (Ph.D. student)
> Web2k - Web Software Design, Development and Training

DISCLAIMER: This email, including any attachments, is intended only for use
by the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or personal information
and may also be the subject of legal privilege. Any personal information
contained in this email is not to be used or disclosed for any purpose other
than the purpose for which you have received it. If you are not the intended
recipient, you must not disclose or use the information contained in it. In
this case, please let me know by return email, delete the message
permanently from your system and destroy any copies. Emails and their
attachments may be interfered with, may contain computer viruses or other
defects and may not be successfully replicated on other systems. All
attachments are opened at the recipient's risk.