[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 Developer Cookbook

Stephan Richter stephan.richter@tufts.edu
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 18:16:18 -0500

Hello everyone,

for many, many months, Steve, Gary and Jim have asked me to publish a How-to
on writing servers for Zope 3. I had taken notes back in April, carried them
all over Europe in the summer and found them last week. So I told Gary I
would publish them as soon as I have time to type them up...well, I really
did not have time this weekend...but typed them up anyway.

What not so many people knew was the fact that the server notes were just one
part of a set of notes for a book that I was supposed to write. However, this
book has been cancelled and I have not found (and not really looked for) a
new publisher. Since I was able to keep my advance, I had to agree not to
take the material to another publisher, but I was able to keep the rights on
my notes. This morning I decided to put all of the notes (at least everything
that is still relevant - that excludes specifically the outline of the book)
online on the Zope 3 Dev Wiki and started creating the book there.

Originally, I resisted the idea of writing a cookbook; however, today it
seemed like a really good idea, especially since there are narrative (CMS
Documentation effort) and project-driven (Jim's Tutorial) efforts already.
The basic idea of the cookbook is that it has an Introduction Section that
explains some basics about Zope 3 and the Component Architecture and a Recipe
Section which is a collection of particular tasks, such as: Implementing your
own Network Protocol in Zope 3.

My goal is to write outlines for 1-2 recipes a week up until Christmas and
then work on the wording over Christmas, when I am at home.

However, I think the Cookbook will be only successful if I have the support of
the Zope 3 Development community. How can you help?

1. Criticize and evaluate anything and everything and comment on it using the
Wiki or just correct the mistakes yourself (when you do this, please feel
free to add yourself to the Author list...I want to keep track of that, in
case we ever publish it).

2. Send me or Publish notes (at least outlines) for recipes that include
components I am not so familiar with. I noticed that 2500-3000 characters per
recipe outline are a good size, even though it can be much longer if needed.

3. Give me suggestions of recipes to write. Are there any particular tasks you
would like to know how to do in Zope 3? It would be really great, if we could
have a list of about 20 recipes by the end of the week (maybe we can vote on
their importance as well).

Oh yeah, I almost forgot the link
http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/DevelCookbook

Regards,