[Zope3-dev] Re: PageDesign as skinning system

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 13:38:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Craeg K Strong wrote:

> Shane Hathaway wrote:
> > Max M wrote:
> >
> >> Chris Withers wrote:
>
> >> Well I wrote quite a long piece on how I thought that a skinning
> >> system should be constructed. It is based in +10 years of inteface
> >> design/information architecture experience so I know it isn't quite of.
> >>
> >> (http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/rant%20by%20Max%20M)
> >
> > 4) The work on Page Designs could replace the need for any of this.
> >
> > http://cvs.zope.org/Products/PageDesign/
> >
> > Shane
>
> The PageDesign project looks very interesting.  Would you be willing to provide
> an "Executive Summary" of what it is, what it does, and the reasoning behind
> it?

The idea is evolving.  The original idea was to make a UI for placing
elements on a page.  But it is becoming:

- Composite content.  Make an article then drag some images into it.

- A browser-oriented drag and drop tool.  You can re-use the Javascript
for most places you would want drag and drop capability, such as putting
items in a list or restructuring a tree.

- Very high level templating.  This is the most interesting part for me.
Programmers write code, designers make page templates, and with page
designs, site designers could choose how to apply those templates.  I
think we might want an XML serialization of page designs to help solidify
this idea.

Shane