[Zope3-dev] Development methodology (Re: [Zope-CMF] Future CMF) (rant)

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 03:25:53 -0400

Chris Withers wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>

>> I'm sure that anyone would agree that convoluted proposals are a bad
>> idea.
>> Have we had any convoluted proposals? I can't think of any.
>

> I can't remember the last time I could follow a Zope 3 proposal. The
> entry barrier is too high. I can't afford to spend 2 hrs reading up
> other stuff so I can understand the proposal I'm reading.

That doesn't mean the proposals are convoluted. It just means that
you don't have time to follow them. That's not the proposal's fault.
It's not your fault either.  It just means that you can't contribute
that way. I don't see this as a problem.

I've gotten valuable feedback on proposals. I also don't really mind
all that much if a proposal doesn't get much feedback. Gosh, everything
doesn't have to controversial.

I'm a big believer that we should be like Mr. Ed. ("Mr. Ed will never
speak unless he has something to say." I guess I'm dating myself.
Did you have Mr. Ed in Europe? :)
>> I don't see how length could necessarily be a bad thing, if length is
>> needed
>> to be clear, which it often is.
>

> It's a time thing. Open Source, IMVH(umble)O, works best if you can
> enable people to pick off little bits that can be solved quickly. The
> proposals I've read don't make this easy, and as a result, I've done no
> Zope 3 coding since February.

Why don't you pick off some little thing you'd like to work on. If it's
controversial make a little proposal or ask me about it.

I know for a fact that there are items in the collector that are straightforward
and fairly small.  If you would like me to suggest tasks, I'd be happy to. :)

BTW, you are making an important contribution by running the tests and
complaining when they fail. BTW BTW, if you haven't already, you should upgrade the
test interpreter for Zope 3 to 2.2.2b1.

I'd also love to get some help with use cases. I really appreciate the
work Janko is doing. Really, thinking about and *articulating* how things should
work has a lot of value and doesn't require a deep technical investment.

Jim