[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope X3.1 Feature Freeze

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 10:48:31 EST 2005

[Jim Fulton]
> Having to support *two* versions of Zope 3 will add significantly to the
> Zope 3 development effort.  This will have the effect of slowing down
> Zope 3 releases, as we will effectively be making more of them.
>
> (Tim is undoubtly saying: "Ah, Jim now understands my pain." ;)

Na, Tim just thought to himself, "Ah, if we go down that path, Jim
might begin to understand part of my pain, assuming he doesn't
delegate it to me" <wink>.

Releases are time-consuming, and porting/merging changes among umpteen
long-lived branches is both time-consuming and highly error-prone.  My
worry here is that Zope 2.8 seemed mostly ignored for most of-- what?
--the entire preceding year?  Now there's an urgent push to release it
"as instantly as possible", backed by some actual effort.  That's
great, so far as it goes.  But development efforts that swing from one
unsustainable extreme to the other tend to swing back again.  I'd be a
lot happier if the _tone_ for the current 2.8 effort reflected
determination more than desperation.