[Zope3-dev] SOAP support?

Kapil Thangavelu hazmat at objectrealms.net
Thu Feb 8 14:48:29 EST 2007

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 14:31:19 -0500, Jeff Shell <eucci.group at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 1/7/07, Andreas Jung <lists at zopyx.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am actually looking at options for bringing SOAP support into Zope 2.
>> Is there some SOAP infrastructure available in Zope 3 (or some add-ons)
>> and might be re-used in a reasonable way?

<snip>
> "The S Stands for Simple" is definitely a great read. It's terrifying
> because it's true. (At the same time, I can see the appeal of SOAP in
> the heavyweight compiled commercial crap tools business - exposing a
> ColdFusion Component as a web service is as easy as adding ``?wsdl``
> to the URL, and I was able to attach the web service to a table in
> Flash 8 Professional and witness data being returned, and I don't know
> or use Flash (or ColdFusion) at all. Ugh. Shame it's such a crap
> system. Viva AJAX with JSON! Viva View-Source! Viva good old fashioned
> GET and POST HTTP requests that don't have additional traversal steps
> buried in a body that one could never type by hand!)

some additional good reads,

iona chief engineer - REST Eye for the SOAP Guy
http://dsonline.computer.org/portal/pages/dsonline/2007/01/w1tow.xml

gartner vp -
"Web Services based on SOAP and WSDL are "Web" in name only. In fact, they
are a hostile overlay of the Web based on traditional enterprise
middleware architectural styles that has fallen far short of expectations
over the past decade."

"protocols and formats such as RSS, Atom, Microformats, and now GData that
are the best examples of how to enable one software agent to interact with
another (aka A2A integration)."
http://www.w3.org/2007/01/wos-papers/gall

cheers,

kapil