[ZF] re: electronic voting application

Rob Page rob.page at zope.com
Thu Apr 6 14:12:49 EDT 2006

On Apr 6, 2006, at 1:53 PM, Chris McDonough wrote:
> There doesn't appear to be a viable easy-to-install plugin for
> Outlook that generates GPG signatures.
>
> If we were to use GPG, it should be possible to instruct people who
> don't know how to configure their own mail clients to set up
> Thunderbird with Enigmail.  Writing the howto about this would
> likely be easier than writing a truly secure voting application.

One - good-in-some-ways-bad-in-others idea was for a simple command
line application:

(1) ssh vote.zope.org (then see curses app)

or

(2) ssh vote.zope.org vote [topic] [selection] as in

ssh vote.zope.org 2006board mcdonough

This was considered since we already have some mechanisms for ssh key
management.

> But it might be even easier to use S/MIME because all popular
> clients have built in support for this.
>
> http://www.marknoble.com/tutorial/smime/smime.aspx
>
> I don't know the S/MIME trust model, though.

iiuc, S/MIME uses signed certs (i.e., everyone trusts the signer)
like ssl.

--Rob

--
Rob Page               V: 540 361 1710