[ZF] re: electronic voting application

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Apr 7 06:25:44 EDT 2006

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

>> I think that a solution that uses our already registered SSH keys
>> would be
>> much simpler to use. I am totally for a small telnet app.
>

> Whenever I hear suggestions like this I keep thinking that most of  the
> time they are made, without any ill intent, because someone else  is
> assumed to be doing it...  Suggestions are fine, but without a  firm
> commitment from anyone to actually do it all we end up with is  delays
> while everyone tries to look busy so they don't have to  implement it ;)

I volunteered to do this if no one else came up with *and implemented*
something better.

The app in question is *not* a curses app.  It would be a command-line
app run on the vote server via ssh.  Given our existing infrastructure,
this would be a trivial app for me to put together.  I don't see this
as a long-term solution, but as a quick and dirty way to help get things
going.

So far, I haven't heard anyone volunteer to implement/run a
GPG/email-based system.

I'll defer to others about what would be easier for voters.  I'll
note that the vast majority of initial voters will be contributors.
We use ssh daily to do our work,  A voting system that required that
I issue votes using ssh would require zero extra work for me as a voter.
OTOH, I don't use GPG.  I don't need it for anything normally.  I've
used it in the past when people aked me to and then I forgot it because
I have no real use for it normally.  I'm willing to use it again, but
it would be a tax for me.

Jim