[ZF] Committers vs Committer members and getting more of each

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Jun 5 18:18:41 EDT 2006

This is not a proposal, but I'd like to share some thoughts on how I
think
this should work in hopes of influencing proposals:

- The process should be simple

- It should be possible to become a committer without
   being a committer member.  I like the lightweight process we
   have now for enabling committers.  I think it has served us well.
   IMO, a committer agreement submitted to legal at zope.org
   should be all that's required.

- I think that becoming a committer member should require
   significant contributions, which need not involve actual commits
   to the repository.  IMO, becomming a committer member should
   require some sort of majority vote of existing committer members, as
   adding new committer members dilutes their votes.

- The bylaws anticipate separate projects with their own governance.
   I think individual projects should, if they wish be able to control
   who can commit to their areas of the repository.  (Note that
subversion
   now provides facilities to implement this.)

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org