[ZF] Please comment! Re: Zope Development Process

Baiju M baiju.m.mail at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 08:09:09 EDT 2006

On 9/27/06, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:

<snip>

> > - We need a process for allowing people to contribute their code to
> >   the source-code repository.

I am new contributor and only done few commits.  So far I am feeling
very comfortable
to use our tools and other developers are really helpful in
irc,mailing list and collector.
But I think developer oriented documentations should be improved.

> > - We need a process for contributing 3rd-party code to the
> >   respository. (I would like to see this kept to a minimum, if
> >   possible, by using eggs, rather than code copying, to manage
> >   dependencies on 3rd-party code.

If we require a special feature which is not available in that 3rd-party code,
how egg is going to help here? For example, if we want a feature 'foo'
in 'doctest', but 'doctest' will only have that feature in next release.

> > - We need a way to invite committer members.

I think most of free/open source software follow a similar strategy.
They will look for peoples who actually helping with bug fixing, documentation
and other small tasks.  Then either contributor bravely ask to become
an official contributor or other developers invite them.  I think this will work
for Zope too.

> > The first two issues are pretty urgent, as I don't think we can
> > establish a Foundation repository without resolving them.

Hmm.. I think this is too much for me :)
not commenting on other issues.

Regards,
Baiju M