[ZF] Becoming a member

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Sep 29 04:41:37 EDT 2006

Jim Fulton wrote:
> I don't like this for 2 reasons:
>
> - I don't like applying patches.

I don't mind as long as they apply cleanly, and if they don't apply
cleanly, then the contributor needs to work on them...

> - I strongly prefer, for IP reasons that people check in their own work.
>   In fact, the committer agreement as currently written would not allow
>   committers to apply patches contributed by others.

That, I'm afraid, is nuts...

> We've had a liberal committer process for years and we haven't
> had a problem with people committing things willy nilly.  I have found new
> committers to be generally very cautious and considerate.

Yep, hence my two takes on this... I thin kI may have forgotten to
include the other one which is basically trust people not to screw
things up, any volunteers are good and deserve respect and trust until
they prove otherwise :-)

>> If this was a "ZF project", in phase one, I may have been a ocmmunity
>> newbie just needing svn space and a "project home". Is this something
>> we want to support?
>
> Does it even matter whether people are newbies?

I am wary of people who suddenly appear on the community and launch
themselves into things...

>> In the latter phase, I'd only wanted vetted people I trusted able to
>> commit, which is the point I raised at the start of this mail...
>
> Right and I think, based on history, that it is a misplaced concern.

Agreed :-)

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk