[ZF] Re: Status update for documents

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Mon Apr 23 05:47:19 EDT 2007

Am Montag, den 23.04.2007, 11:42 +0200 schrieb Martijn Faassen:
> Hey,
>
> On 4/22/07, Christian Theune <ct at gocept.com> wrote:
> > any comments? I'd like to proceed and get those things done too, but I
> > need feedback for this to proceed.
>
> One of my questions is that you seem to be trying to boil down the
> purpose of the ZMO to something less verbose. I don't really
> understand why this is necessary.  If the goal is to get rid of the
> ZMO from the bylaws, why do you need to boil it down? Can you explain?

The ZMO as a "separate" organisation should be removed. However, we at
least the part that coordinates the development _somewhere_. That's
where the plan for a development committee came from. We also wanted to
remove the references to the ominous Zope Development Process to
something more flexible that isn't pinned down in the by laws.

> > Additionally, I noticed that I'm still not understanding the actual
> > problem of the contributor vs committer member issue. I think we forgot
> > to revisit that during PyCon. Can someone point out the problem and the
> > general idea of a solution so I can make adjustments to the docs?
>
> The Foundation needs to have the ability to give people commit rights
> to the repositories, or, say, access to whatever CMS the foundation is
> running, or even sysadmin rights on a foundation machine, without this
> person having to become a foundation members and sign a foundation
> membership form. We need a minimal procedure here. This procedure
> should allow the Foundation to safeguard the copyright of the
> contributions, so would still require a signature to something. It's
> just full membership should not be required.
>
> People who have contributed a lot should have the option to become a
> contributor member (we intend to rename "committer member" to
> "contributor member", so you should be doing this in the documents :).
> Contributor members are members of the foundation.
>
> So, we have contributors. And we have contributor members. The latter
> is a subset of the former.

Right. However we also have a dead lock that we need to remove but I
don't know the specifics.

Christian